Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Challenges

Ever been in the "place" where nothing seems to flow the way it should? Small things seem to bring big consequences, when all of life's positive anchors don't bring you out of your funk? Your favorite song fades off into the distance of your hearing and the sunrise isn't as welcome as normal. One of our biggest challenges seems to be our own head. We conclude that we are the center of the universe and everything revolves around us. We must control, fix, change and manipulate every situation we come in contact with. Those are the hardest times to get a real grip on life, and the most satisfying when you are able to put your hands up, ask for help and relinquish control. It is only then that your pulse goes down, your spirits tend to lift, and you can finally take a breath. This is new for me. I have never been one not to control every situation I come in contact with. Not every situation can be a win or lose. All instances are not battles. One does not have to have a hand in changing everything. I have come to learn what I was raised to believe and chose many times to ignore because of its simplicity; the life lived by the Serenity Prayer. I have had this prayer in my head for as long as I can remember, I just chose to ignore the first line. In doing this I read it to mean that I must pick my battles. By picking my battles I could choose them, focus on them, and win them. Simple right? Well, not so much. In living life this way, life that I predicted was easy. Working hard has never been a problem. But what about those things I did not see coming? What about change? What about hidden obstacles? What about dramatic situations (which by the way I suck at)? What if someone acted in their best interest instead of mine? Then what? My choice in the past: RUN. Build a wall around my heart so it can't hurt and I could move on. Pretty soon that wall gets higher and stronger and nothing gets in.... I will tell you, that is no way to live, no way to see the world. Feels like you must pass by everything because it isn't in your plan.


You may have wondered where this long winded rubbish was going... Well it's simply going straight to the life I have discovered that was right in front of me all along. I still forget sometimes and need brought back to reality, but those times are so much fewer and far between. I am thankful for those people (my good friends and the love of my life) who have shown me this side of consciousness.

I am also thankful for the chance to experience the ever changing sights, sounds, smells of our forest lands in which we run in. They are also an example of how life can work. You never know what is coming, you must keep your eyes up, your insticts active and your awareness hightened. Why on earth would you miss out on what is to come because you are so wrapped up in your own head? You may never get to do this again, but your head will come home with you.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful post. You are always a friendly and positive woman and I am so glad I've met you! Thanks for posting the link to your blog. see you soon on the trails - jess

Backofpack said...

Beautifully written, and very thought provoking. Thanks for putting it up on FB Shawna!