Wednesday, January 7, 2009

What it Takes

Been pondering the "training" question lately as I had signed up for a 50 miler which has since cancelled due to course problems. There are tons of places to find information, and tons of different opinions about what to run, how fast, how far, and how much rest is required. One could get VERY lost in the information overload. I hope I am right in that sticking with what works is the best way to try something new. In my limited experience, the journey is the most important part of life, and in this journey, keeping it fun is the most critical to not getting injured, not burning out, and maintaining excitement up to and for race day. I came to the conclusion that while I may add a few more miles and extra strength training, it is going to stay fun no matter what! We do this for enjoyment, and it could easily become a second job, or a "have to". No thanks, it's very much a "WANT TO"!

2 comments:

Journey to a Centum said...

Shawna - After my first marathon I took a five year break. When I trained for my second I had Boston in my sights. Took me three races to qualify. My running buddies were always surprised when I came out to run the day after a marathon. Especially surprised when I ran 12 miles with them. Just didn't seem like a problem to me and I was in great shape.

I think for someone that has trained like I did for my first marathon and who is not really fit it's probably best to kick back and continue to build a strong base. For someone like you who uses Crossfit and is about a fit and strong as they come. You are strong physically and mentally. Be a good listener to your body and it will be your guide. If you are injured let your PT or Doctor be your guide.

Welcome to blogland. I personally find the red letters harsh and kind of hard to read. You have a good message and I will make many visits.

Cheers

www.journeytoacentum.blogspot.com

Journey to a Centum said...

Shawna - In my opinion the font color is much better!

Looks like we will be seeing a lot of each other at the local events. I'll look forward to reading your insights and experience for those we both attend and others.

Cheers!